Ryton & Crawcrook Albion




(1) Elliott Beddow

(6) Luke Hogan

(72) Craig Hutchinson

(74) Craig Hutchinson

(82) Connor Dunlavey

Match Report

Just over a year ago, Town beat Ryton at Kingsley Park in a comfortable 3.0 win that gave everybody at the club a morale boost. On Wednesday night Billingham produced a routine win without getting out of second gear. As is the norm these days, Town dominated the early exchanges and the game was more or less over inside the opening seven minutes with goals from Elliott Beddow and Luke Hogan. Ryton were industrious but lacked the quality to make inroads in the game and when fitness became an issue, Billingham were ruthless in front of goal. Craig Hutchinson followed up his five goal blitz at the weekend with a double and Connor Dunlavey finished the scoring with the last touch of the game. A case of job done, wind down and rest a couple of days in preparation for Saturdays FA Vase 3rd round tie at Bottesford Town. The only worry was the sight of Elliott Beddow holding onto his ribs as he left the pitch that left Town with ten men. Early indications are he may have broken a rib but Hartlepool United's physio will take an initial look at him on Friday. Results elsewhere went in Towns favour; Esh Winning pulled off a surprising win at in form Hebburn and Tow Law took all three points at Heaton Stannington. On Thursday night, Easington Colliery were held to a draw by promotion rivals Durham City.


The Town management made two changes to the starting eleven that annihilated Whickham at the weekend. Lee Moore slotted back into the right back position and Jamie Davis into central midfield. Dan Rowbotham was unavailable due to work and Clayton MacDonald started on the bench.


Billingham got off to a blistering start and duly punished a motionless Ryton rearguard. Town took the lead within two minutes when Hutchinson released BEDDOW on goal. Ryton goalkeeper Ross Coombe hesitated and then backtracked to his own goaline giving the winger more space to find his spot. Further poor defending contributed to Town's second goal; Chris Dickinson found Lee HOGAN unmarked from a quick corner and Ryton's defence were slow to react allowing the winger to take a few steps and blast the ball past Coombe. At times Town were a bit carless with their passing and distribution but the pitch wasn't conducive to Town's intrinsic attacking style. Ryton briefly threatened; Mattie Crossen did well to close down Sam Moore in a dangerous position and Callum Turnbull saw his powerful header rise above the crossbar. Town created the better chances though; Hogan had a close range effort saved and Hutchinson saw a twenty yarder fly over the crossbar and just before half time he hooked wide after good play from Dickinson.


HT Ryton & Crawcrook Albion 0 Billingham Town 2


Billingham looked content with holding onto what they had with Ryton offering little threat going forward. The floodgates opened unexpectedly inside the final twenty minutes. Coombe made a hash of a clearance, striking the ball against HUTCHINSON leaving the striker with an open goal. The fourth came on seventy five minutes from a typical Town breakaway. Dickinson burst through the midfield to release the overlapping Beddow and the winger unselfishly layed the ball across for HUTCHINSON with a simple tap in. Shortly afterwards, Beddow had to exit the pitch with the rib injury, leaving Town with ten men but they still went on the offensive. Connor Dunlavey was unlucky to see his point blank range strike pushed over by Coombe but the substitute scored with the last chance of the game. Aaron Foley played a clever one two with Hutchinson and threaded the ball into the box for DUNLAVEY to dink it over the keeper. Town's fourth 5.0 of the season to go along with the 6.0 at Brandon and the 7.0 against Whickham!!


FT Ryton & Crawcrook Albion 0 Billingham Town 5


Graham Hutchinson

Press Officer